Thursday, September 17, 2009

BRAVEHEART (1995)

Directed by: Mel Gibson
Written by: Randall Wallace
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Starring: Mel Gibson, Patrick McGoohan, Sophie Marceau
Rated: R

About the film:
Braveheart tells the story of William Wallace who, in the 13th century, led Scotland to rebel against tyrannical English rule in a quest for freedom and independence.

Movie Quote:
“I’ve lived long enough to live free. And proud to see you become the man that you are. I’m a happy man.”
Campbell (James Cosmo) in Braveheart (1995)

Bible Quote:
“While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, ‘This is my son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!’”
Matthew 17:5 (NIV)


Commentary:
Though the elder Campbell waited until his deathbed to speak the words quoted here, he expresses the heart and sentiment of fathers around the world.

There are few experiences more pleasurable or rewarding for a father than to see and recognize that his young boy, whom he nurtured, loved, and taught throughout the years, has grown into a good man… a man who is able and willing to embark on life’s adventures with a sound mind and a strong heart.

Speaking from experience, I can say that watching my son graduate from boot camp and enter into the ranks of the Coast Guard is a memory I will long hold. The pride he felt in his accomplishment was evident from the moment he stepped onto the parade grounds. It carried across the vastness of that field and into the stands to reach and melt my heart.

If I can feel that for my son who endured the rigors of boot camp training to taste the victory of a successful outcome, how much more does God, our heavenly Father, rejoice over our victories… be they great or small? As we continue to walk in His truth, following the example of Jesus Christ, we my do so knowing that we are giving our God and Father the greatest pleasure we could possibly give.

Questions to consider while watching the film:
1. What actions does a son do that will please His father? How does that translate to what we might do to please God?
2. What qualities did William Wallace demonstrate that made him a man other men would want to follow?

Michael Elliott
http://screensermon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment